Sent: 02 March, 2006 1:23 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: FW: R&D spending and library spending

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind04/append/c5/at05-02.xls
Science & Engineering Indicators, 2004

Support for Academic R&D: current dollars.

1986=09$10,928 (in millions of dollars)
2001=09$32,723 (in millions of dollars)
Ratio: 2001/1986=092.986

http://www.arl.org/stats/arlstat/04pub/04intro.html
ARL Average library expenditures for serials

1986=09$1,496,775
2001=09$4,939,225
Ratio 2001/1986=093.29

I think this means ARL libraries average expenditures for serials=20
have been running ahead of Academic R&D dollar increases.

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services Atkins
Library University of North Carolina Charlotte Charlotte, NC 28223 phone 70=
4
687-2825