FW: R&D spending and library spending

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind04/append/c5/at05-02.xls
Science & Engineering Indicators, 2004

Support for Academic R&D: current dollars.

1986	$10,928 (in millions of dollars)
2001	$32,723 (in millions of dollars)
Ratio: 2001/1986	2.986

http://www.arl.org/stats/arlstat/04pub/04intro.html
ARL Average library expenditures for serials

1986	$1,496,775
2001	$4,939,225
Ratio 2001/1986	3.29

I think this means ARL libraries average expenditures for serials have
been running ahead of Academic R&D dollar increases.

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223
phone 704 687-2825