Re: Question about open access and print

Dear Richard,

The prospective publisher is right.

You are contemplating dual publication, and the sequence you
propose is regarded by librarians somewhere between a nuisance
and a disaster. If the papers were published in a formal journal,
OA or not, electronic or not, they have been published.  if the
submissions to the conference are peer reviewed, and in most good
conferences they are, they have been published in a peer-reviewed
journal, and further publication is unnecessary.

If those attending the conference wish a fancy book as a
rememberance, they are perfectly free to pay for vanity
publication, but there is no reason anyone else need bother.  No
library will deliberately buy it. Those that buy it by accident,
generally because the publisher advertisements delibrately do not
mention the duplication, often warn other librarians on
appropriate subject lists.

There are better ways. Many scientists do not regard most
conference publications as formal publications, and post only the
slides. They then prepare a more elaborate if less colorful
paper, with a proper review of the literature [etc.], and submit
it to a journal under a slightly different title to avoid
confusion, mentioning that some of the material was previously
presented at a conference. The reviewers will probably check, and
if too much of the data has been previously presented with the
same graphs, will reject the paper.

Alternatively, if the conference does have a formal proceedings
with all the papers, which is properly indexed by the A&I
services, why would one try to publish the same paper in a
journal as well?

Most will publish a different paper for a journal, typically with
additional data, that will refer to the conference but does not
duplicate it. People with a great deal of data sometimes assort
them in ways that are diffcult to fathom, but a journal referee
should insist on some clarity here as well.

Peer review has many uses, and preventing duplicate publication
is certainly one.

This has nothing to do with open access. I would not acquire a
book that duplicated a journal whether or not one or both is OA.
My practice when such was encountered was to not buy the book,
and also cancel the journal, figuring that if it had to go to
such lengths to get content, the content was unlikely to be of
much value.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University