Re: EPA Set to Close Library Network and Electronic Catalog [PMC and digital preservation thread]

Are we confusing short term archiving and long term preservation
involving migration or some other approach to changing
technologisies especially if the article includes multimedia
components? I am not complaining about PMC but other
organisations particularly national libraries in most countries
seem to me to have a different philosophy - perhaps because it is
their mission. The article referred to below (do not forget to
delete the comma at the end of the reference) explains its
preservation approach as follows:

"For proprietary file formats such as PDFs and Microsoft Excel
spreadsheets, PMC's current approach is to assume that other
technology groups will continue to provide tools that make them
usable because of their ubiquity.

NLM believes that the best way to ensure the durability of an
electronic archive is to use it constantly. Because PMC creates
its online displays directly from the archival files, as
illustrated in Figure 2, readers are confirming and validating
the quality of the archival files every time they retrieve an
article. This adds another level of assurance to NLM's own
testing and quality control procedures".

If that is enough why do the libraries mentioned worry so much
and spend so much money in researching long-term preservation
techniques?

Anthony