Re: consulting with attorneys

Here at MIT I can think of three areas where we tend to consult with our intellectual property attorney:

*whether a newly evolved form of license is valid or enforceable, such as shrinkwrap, clickwrap, passively mounted terms, etc., with their various strategies for clicking or indicating "I agree."

*when there is new legal language that is not related to the product or its use, such as requirements related to subpeonas or injunctions, new language about a UN treaty or convention, etc.

*when we want to know if certain licensors should be handled in a different way, based on the legal status of the provider or product-- such as small GIS licenses from small government bodies.

Ellen Duranceau