Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 6:28 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Leaving the Emerald City

I know nothing about Emerald Press beyond what appeared in Ted
Bergstom's post and the earlier thread initiated by Phil Davis,
so my questions are put in the abstract:  Does anyone know if the
Journal of Economic Studies is profitable?  Is the reputed high
price a function of a small customer base (few sales over which
to amortize costs)?  Would a lower price bring in many more
customers, allowing for broader amortization and, theoretically,
a lower price?

Of course, it is entirely possible that this is an instance of
price-gouging pure and simple, but in the absence of the answers
to my questions above, I don't see how anyone can know if the
price is in or out of bounds.

Joe Esposito