RE: EPA Set to Close Library Network and Electronic Catalog

As the Director of the NIH Library I feel I should respond, if
for no other reason than to assure the many colleagues who have
alerted me to this posting.  First, the NIH Library serves the
information needs of the researchers and administrators who work
at NIH.  We are funded by fees charged to the institutes and
centers (ICs) that make up the National Institutes of Health.  I
am confident that as long as we continue to provide the resources
and services NIH researchers need to do their work, we will
continue to receive adequate funding.  If we fail to do so, then
we too could be in jeopardy.  So far we remain highly valued by
the NIH community and receive the funding we need to do a good
job.

That having been said, we are not responsible for PubMed Central.
PMC is a service of the National Library of Medicine (NLM), which
is one of the 27 NIH ICs.  NLM's budget, including initiatives
such as PMC, is a direct Congressional appropriation.  I cannot
speak for NLM, but it is my impression that their commitment to
PMC is as solid as their commitment to maintaining GENBANK or
PubMed is.  I haven't seen any concern among the scientific
community about NLM's continued maintenance of these databases.

Suzanne Grefsheim
Director, Division of Library Services
Office of Research Services
National Institutes of Health