Scientometric data-mining of ROAR, citebase and the download/citation correlator

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Caroline Lloyd wrote:

> I'm giving a presentation on open access publishing to an
> academic committee and will be emphasising the importance of
> IRs. It would be useful to quote some figures about how many
> there are in universities in the UK, US and other parts of the
> world. I've had a look at OpenDOAR and ROAR but can't find a
> way to only retrieve IRs in unis by country. Does anyone know
> where this info might be available?

Go to ROAR http://archives.eprints.org/ In the pull down menu
"Any content type" select: "Research Institutional or
Departmental"

Then just pull down the "Any Geographic Country" Menu and read
off the numbers for each country (holding your finger down).

You can also rank-order the output by the size of the archive;
and you can get individual or joint growth charts for archives
and archive-contents.

ROAR has many powerful analytic capabilities. It's worth taking a
few moments to explore them. As I've said before, richly
informative articles could be written based simply on the wealth
of current data and analyses automatically provided by ROAR, with
just a few well-chosen keystrokes. (Soton hasn't enough fingers
to do *everything* for the world OA community! Others will need
to show a bit more scholarly and webmetric initiative!)

(Ditto for citebase and for the download/citation correlator, by
the way! http://www.citebase.org/
http://citebase.eprints.org/analysis/correlation.php These are
all among Tim's treasure-troves that the world has yet to
discover and mine!)

Stevan Harnad