Leaving the Emerald City

Max Steuer, a respected English economist has recently resigned=20
as editor of the Journal of Economic Studies, which is published=20
by Emerald Press. This journal and its sister publication the=20
International Journal of Social Economics, are the most expensive=20
journals in economics. These journals are highly obscure and not=20
even included in the ISI social science citation list, yet each=20
costs about 3 times as much as the next most expensive economics=20
journal.

Professor Steuer, who has been editor for about a year, had not=20
paid attention to "the business end of the journal" when he=20
agreed to be editor. When he was informed of the JES pricing=20
policy and of Phil Davis's discoveries of Emerald's article=20
republication practices, he asked for an audience with the=20
publisher. Emerald was not able to give him a satisfactory=20
explanation for its practices and he resigned.

In his letter, Professor Steuer says that

     "I resigned from editing the Journal of Economic Studies on 6
     January 2006. Shortly before that date, it was suggested to me that
     the financial policy of the journal is inconsistent with the culture
     and practices of the academic community. It was careless of me not
     to look into this before taking on the job. I simply assumed
     that the fees charged and other aspects of policy were
     roughly in line with academic conventions. This turns out not
     to be the case."

Professor Steuer has given me permission to distribute his letter=20
as I like. I attach a copy of the full text below. You can find=20
some more information about Emerald's practices at the following=20
location.=20
http://www.econ.ucsb.edu/%7Etedb/Journals/emeraldroad.html

Cheers,
Ted

Here is the text of Professor Steuer's letter.

********

You may want to know that I resigned from editing the Journal of=20
Economic Studies on 6 January 2006. Shortly before that date it=20
was suggested to me that the financial policy of the journal is=20
inconsistent with the culture and practices of the academic=20
community. It was careless of me not to look into this before=20
taking on the job. I simply assumed that the fees charged and=20
other aspects of policy were roughly in line with academic=20
conventions. This turns out not to be the case.

On the 6th of January I met with a representative of Emerald=20
Publications to discuss the position. I wanted to be sure of the=20
position, and if possible to affect a change in policy. It was=20
clear that the pricing policy was and is very different from that=20
of many well-known economic s journals. In particular, the=20
current price of =A36,000 plus vat for six copies is far out of=20
line. It was also clear from our discussion that no change in=20
policy was to be forthcoming. As we know, the contributors and=20
referees of academic journals are on the whole not paid and=20
regard taking on work, particularly refereeing, as part of being=20
members of a scholarly community. I feel badly at having asked=20
many people to devote time to the journal. Incidentally, any=20
pending communications should be sent to Simon Linacre at=20
Slinacre@emeraldinsight.com <mailto:Slinacre@emeraldinsight.com>,=20
and not to me.

The policy of the Journal of Economic Studies is not determined=20
by the Board of the journal, but by the owners. It could be=20
argued that if authors wish to contribute, referees are prepared=20
to act, an editor can be found for a nominal fee, the profits and=20
long-run prospects of the journal are of no concern. To make that=20
argument, at a minimum it is essential that the participants in=20
the journal's activities are aware of the policy, and are not=20
encouraged to assume that it is run in a manner consistent with=20
academic conventions and culture. Whether many institutions would=20
subscribe, or scholars would like to submit papers, or undertake=20
other work for the journal under conditions of full disclosure,=20
will probably never be tested. The journal official was open with=20
me, but will that openness be extended? Board members should=20
consider their positions.

I am sorry that I cannot write individually to the many authors,=20
Board members, referees and colleagues who have helped me over=20
the past year. The experience leaves a bitter taste, but contains=20
a number of gratifying memories.

Max Steuer

---2071850956-877295943-1140225055=:30085--