More on Google and publishers

A very long blog post on Boing Boing today:

(http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/14/why_publishing_shoul.html) on Google's library project. I have pasted in the first paragraph below. The post is unattributed, but sounds to my ear like Cory Doctorow.

Joe Esposito

Why Publishing Should Send Fruit-Baskets to Google

Google's new Book Search promises to save writers' and publishers' asses by putting their books into the index of works that are visible to searchers who get all their information from the Internet. In response, publishers and writers are suing Google, claiming that this ass-saving is in fact a copyright violation. When you look a little closer, though, you see that the writer/publisher objections to Google amount to nothing more than rent-seeking: an attempt to use legal threats to milk Google for some of the money it will make by providing this vital service to us ink-stained scribblers.

####