Re: Does More Mean More?

I have surveyed academic faculty for more than a decade asking
them to name specific titles needed for research and instruction.
I have also retained use data (circulation, browse, and
ILL/document delivery requests) for more than ten years. I've
found minimal correlation between what is used and what faculty
say they need. In my opinion, this lack of correlation may be due
in part to the excess of information now available. In the past,
pre the electronic information boom, faculty depended on specific
journals. That doesn't appear to be true any longer. The data
proves that. They now have access to a broad array of electronic
indexes/abstracts and full-text journals. This has opened doors
for them to a world of information. If it's available
electronically and reputable, they will use it and they do.

Jane Kleiner Associate Dean of Libraries for Collection Services
The LSU Libraries Louisiana State University Baton Rouge, LA
70803 Phone: 225-578-2217 Fax: 225-578-6825 E-Mail:
jkleiner@lsu.edu