Academic Publishing in Europe - conference in Berlin, 4-5 April

What is happening in European academic publishing, and in the
information market which it serves?  This conference provides an
international strategic forum to discuss the role of information
in science and society;  it is intended for all those involved in
the academic information chain.

Academic publishing in Europe has a long tradition, and many
small and medium-sized publishers and learned societies have
played an important role. There have been many structural changes
in the information and value chains;  we are now facing many
issues - linguistic, cultural, educational, financial,
technological, political, and standardisation, to name but a few
- that will have a serious impact on the outreach of scientific
communication within and from Europe. We have seen valuable
initiatives for the creation of digital libraries. We are seeing
new funding models, such as Open Access publication, as well as a
major change from subscriptions to the licensing of information.
The way we cite, quote and link information is changing as well.
The optimum use of information, however, also depends also on the
its searchability, and generic search engines do not always
fulfil the professional's needs and expectations.

Rather than repeating well-known positions, we are aiming for a
fresh approach.  By the end of the conference we hope that all
stakeholders and interested parties will better understand the
implications of the changes that are going on, and will be able
to identify challenges and possibilities for more efficient
production, dissemination and use of information. Many eminent
speakers from different backgrounds and disciplines will give
their views of the future in a unique setting in the heart of
Europe.

For details see http://www.ape2006.de/

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
Email:  sally.morris@alpsp.org