Re: Does More Mean More?

While we are debating statistics, I want to share what has been
my experience as an editor and (later) publisher and (later yet)
consultant to publishers over the years concerning "quantity
control," which is a misnomer, in my view.  Every publishing
person I know lives in dread of the unsolicited (note that word)
manuscript.  It takes all forms.  You get approached at parties,
at your kids' school fund-raisers, at trade shows, through
unsolicited email (aka spam).  I have had entire hardcopy
manuscripts delivered to my door because someone knew someone who
knew someone who had read something I had written.

These "submissions" (what a freighted word!) are so
indiscriminate that they boggle the mind.  The publisher of
college texts receives a novel "because a student could learn
from the historical setting."  An STM publisher I chatted with
complained that he gets submissions in veterinary science when
his work is entirely in human medicine.  This is before one gets
to the even larger category of submissions that are indeed on
point, but for any of many reasons (peer review is alive and
well, though not perfect) do not meet the publisher's standards
or current editorial focus.  There are 6 billion people on the
planet and even the illiterate ones appear to be authors.

To say that publishers are not gatekeepers is simply wrong.  The
point is not how much they do publish (always too much, a
function of the competitive nature of the marketplace and the
vanity of human wishes), but how much they don't.  You can call
this "quantity control" if you will; I call it exercising
judgment.  Publishers are not the only gatekeepers, formal and
informal, nor are they perfect; some would say that they are not
even good.

But if one were to eliminate all these gatekeepers or filters,
from colleagues and readers to editors (as distinct from
publishers) and peer review boards--before one even gets to the
person who finances the whole game, the publisher--the number of
publications would explode.  I am being very careful not to say
"good authors" and "good publications."  Most of what is written
is not good; much, perhaps most, of what is published is not
good; but the filtering process is designed to eliminate the
truly bad, not to identify the exceptional.  As for those who can
and do identify the exceptional, well, truly good editors are
rare and worth their weight in citations.  I wonder how they
select the incoming freshman class at Princeton.

Of the umpteen virtues of Open Access publishing, no one has yet
explained in a manner that my tiny brain can understand how the
expensive but essential process described above can be financed
in a free-to-the-reader environment.  I wish it were otherwise,
as there are many, many things I would like to read that I don't
because I simply can't afford all of them. So I make choices,
like everybody else, perhaps bad ones.

Joe Esposito