Re: RECENT MANUAL MEASUREMENTS OF OA AND OAA

It is common for those who don't understand research to discredit results on irrational grounds, especially when they do not support one's own opinion -- or worse, when they challenge one's dogma. It was surprising to see an established researcher and journal editor make such claims. The Goodman et al. article is based on a sample of nearly 1,200 articles. This is no "tiny" sample when one realizes that this study was done manually. In addition, the study used defendable and reproducible inferential statistical tests -- it was not necessary to do a complete census of all OA articles to back up their claims.

Goodman et al. bring up serious issues with regard to validity (measuring what you say you are measuring), and reliability (being able to reproduce results). It would be much more constructive if Stevan spent time trying to find problems in their methodology and analysis rather than discrediting their research on emotional grounds. The shrillness does not appear to come from Goodman's side.

--Phil Davis