Quality clauses, or diminishing quality of non-OA

Perhaps it is a little early in the transition for this question,
but I'm wondering whether anyone besides me is beginning to get a
little worried about the inevitable diminshing quality of the
determinedly non-OA journals?

Once researchers fully understand just how much funding agencies
appreciate the broadest possible dissemination of results, which
comes with OA, it seems obvious that the vast majority will
prefer to publish in fully OA or full-self-archiving rights
journals.  After all - all else being equal, those who are
seeking research funding, are more than happy to make a small
adjustment to accomodate those who allocate the funding, right?

When these researchers consider the full OA of PLoS,
BioMedCentral, Hindawi, etc., or the flexibility of publishers
like PNAS, Oxford, and Blackwell's, and compare these with
non-OA-friendly journal policies, will the savvy researcher not
seek to publish in the manner that will please the funder?

If the researchers who tend to seek and receive the significant
funding are publishing in these venues - what will happen to the
quality of the determinedly anti-OA journal?  My expectation is
that quality will decrease.

For journals of low quality, this could also mean a loss in
quantity, which many libraries will have already covered in
licensing agreements.  For journals which currently have high
rejection rates, however, this could mean a loss in quality,
which could be made up through lowering quality (i.e. accepting
papers which would previously have been rejected).  A library
with a long-term agreement could be stuck paying premium prices
for journals with decreasing quality.

If anyone has given some thought to this and/or has contract
language to address this issue, I would appreciate hearing from
you.  Responses on or off list are welcome.  If warranted, I
would be happy to prepare a summary for the list, for posting to
the list or on own of my blogs, depending on length.

Speaking of my blogs, I am working on series of articles about OA
Librarian warriors.  Naturally, I will be including a few
Liblicensers: David Goodman would have been first on the list, of
course, if he weren't already so very well known.  Then there is
our very own moderator, who has been providing us with this
excellent open forum for so many years, not to mention sharing
her own work freely on her web site long before the rest of us
had ever heard of self-archiving.  If you know of any librarians
who deserve to be recognised, or have some time to help with
these series, please let me know!

Heather G. Morrison
Heather's E-LIS:
http://eprints.rclis.org/view/people/Morrison,_Heather.html