Re: RECENT MANUAL MEASUREMENTS OF OA AND OAA

As always, Joe makes some execellent points. Frequently proponents of OA
attest to the vibrancy of the movement by pointing to quantitative
statistics like the number of journals in the DOAJ. When I look
criticially at the journals listed there, however, it's apparent that many
are published very irregularly or infrequently or publish material of
extremely limited interest. That is not to say that there are not some
excellent journals within the DOAJ--clearly there are--but only to suggest
that the accumulation of marginal OA publications does not prove that the
movement is at all robust.

I, too, appreciate the honesty and integrity of David Goodman's research.
He is one of the few OA advocates who bases his support on data rather
than cheerleading.

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association
1701 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311
703/299-2033
FAX 703/683-2890
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org

>>> espositoj@gmail.com 01/17/06 5:53 AM >>>

It may be an unintended consequence, but it is a consequence nonetheless
that overcounting of Open Access articles may give some people, including
the publishers of research journals, the notion that OA has a great deal
of momentum.  This may or may not be true (I think it's not, but I don't
care to argue the point), but the perception that it is true is causing
some publishers to move more aggressively into OA "experiments" than they
might otherwise if they had their facts straight.  The bandwagon effect is
not particularly pernicious if there truly is a band and it is perched on
a wagon, but here we have (extending the metaphor until we all scream) OA
lip-synching.  This is not what academic research is supposed to be about.

David Goodman and his colleagues are to be commended for their work.  I
agree with David on few points, but I admire the integrity of someone who
describes himself as an OA "absolutist" and then proceeds to do his
research the old-fashioned way, with a cold eye and careful attention to
the data.

Joe Esposito