Re: RECENT MANUAL MEASUREMENTS OF OA AND OAA

It may be an unintended consequence, but it is a consequence nonetheless
that overcounting of Open Access articles may give some people,
including the publishers of research journals, the notion that OA has a
great deal of momentum.  This may or may not be true (I think it's not,
but I don't care to argue the point), but the perception that it is true
is causing some publishers to move more aggressively into OA
"experiments" than they might otherwise if they had their facts
straight.  The bandwagon effect is not particularly pernicious if there
truly is a band and it is perched on a wagon, but here we have
(extending the metaphor until we all scream) OA lip-synching.  This is
not what academic research is supposed to be about.

David Goodman and his colleagues are to be commended for their work.  I
agree with David on few points, but I admire the integrity of someone
who describes himself as an OA "absolutist" and then proceeds to do his
research the old-fashioned way, with a cold eye and careful attention to
the data.

Joe Esposito