Re: ALPSP library survey

While I understand the logic of this survey, I hope that the ALPSP will first determine whether there is evidence that articles placed in public archives decrease publisher downloads (the stated and untested assumption behind their survey). To date, I have not seen evidence of this connection. As a consequence, one could equally assume that public archiving increases the number of publisher downloads, since archiving (especially of preprints) makes material more public. In essence, the effect on downloads would be cumulative, and public archives would not be previewed as parasites on the publishing system, but as an additional source for promotion. Before we start looking at the cancellation behaviors of librarians, it would be more helpful to establish whether public archives decrease publisher-site article downloads, and if so, by how much.

Phil Davis
Cornell University