Clarifying "non-OA" (RE: RECENT MANUAL MEASUREMENTS OF OA AND OAA)

Thanks to David, Kristin and Nisa for publishing these results.

I have one quick question regarding these numbers:

> Of the 559 robot-identified OA articles, only 224 actually
> were OA (37%).
>
> Of the 559 robot-identified non-OA articles, 533 were truly
> non-OA (89%).

For the purposes of this study, how was "OA" defined?  (For example, if an
article was self-archived and freely available to the public, but not
housed in a repository visible to a harvester like OAIster, would it
qualify as OA?)

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition