Cambridge UP Joins ACLS to Produce XML Books

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eileen Gardiner/Ronald G. Musto <egardiner@hebook.org>
Date: Jan 5, 2006 1:11 PM
Subject: Cambridge UP Joins ACLS to Produce XML Books
To: provost@georgetown.edu

Date: January 4, 2006

The History E-Book Project of the American Council of Learned Societies is
pleased to announce that Cambridge University Press, long an important
publisher in the Project's title list, has joined its partnership to
produce new XML titles, becoming the ACLS's tenth participating university
press for XML development. According to HEB Project directors Eileen
Gardiner and Ron Musto, "Cambridge's participation comes at an important
time, as the ACLS project has achieved self-sustainability and is focused
on completing R&D on its suite of XML features and capabilities.  These
have allowed electronic publishing in History to move from experimental
and individual efforts toward replicable and scalable workflows and
publication standards. Cambridge's excellent History list will help us
achieve these goals."

According to Frank Smith, CUP's Editorial Director for Academic Books,
"Cambridge is very pleased to be participating in the ACLS program.
Although we think printed books are here to stay for a few more decades,
we are also very keen to explore the new possibilities for disseminating
knowledge provided by the digital environment." ACLS and Cambridge have
already begun work on the first of Cambridge's new XML titles to be
included in the Project.

Visit the web site at http://www.HistoryEBook.org

For further information, email info@hebook.org

##