Re: Elsevier and Portico Sign Archive Partnership

Steve Hitchcock raised several questions about the nature of the
relationship between Portico and Elsevier, and I thought it would be
helpful to address those questions as well as to provide further
background on Portico for those who are interested. Portico is a new
nonprofit electronic archiving service initiated by JSTOR in response to
the community's need for a robust, reliable means to preserve electronic
scholarly journals.  Portico's mission is to preserve scholarly literature
published in electronic form and to ensure that these materials remain
accessible to future scholars, researchers, and students. As a
collaborative enterprise, it is important for us to share with the
community how we will fulfill our mission and to detail what economic,
organizational and technical structures we have put in place. We believe,
and Elsevier has indicated to us that they agree, that transparency on
these issues is essential.

As a new collaborative effort Portico is securing support from all parties
interested in the long-term availability of electronic journals, including
publishers, libraries, government agencies and charitable foundations. As
Karen Hunter said in her follow-up posting, publishers and libraries are
both asked to pay fees to sustain the archive. Publishers make an annual
payment which varies depending upon journal revenue (from subscriptions
and advertising) and ranges from $250 to $75,000.  The details of the
publisher contribution schedule are available on the Portico web site
(www.portico.org/publishers.html), and all publisher commitments,
including Elsevier's, follow this schedule.

Libraries also are expected to support the effort, as Portico provides a
service that is consistent with libraries' preservation mandate.
Participating libraries will sign an archiving license and make an annual
financial contribution to cover the ongoing expense of maintaining the
archive.  Library contributions are tiered according to total expenditures
on library materials and are being finalized in consultation with the
Portico Advisory Committee and other members of the library community
(www.portico.org/about/advisory_committee.html). Final fees are expected
to be announced very early in 2006 and will be posted to the website when
they are finalized.

We are off to a great start in building this new collaboration.  To date
seven publishers have committed more than 2,700 journals to the archive,
libraries have expressed to us their support for the concept, and several
organizations have contributed substantially to the funding of Portico's
early development.  JSTOR, which initiated Portico, the Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation, Ithaka, and the Library of Congress under the National Digital
Information and Infrastructure Preservation Program have invested
significantly in the preservation infrastructure and economic model which
Portico has been developing over the last three years.

We look forward to continuing to build the collaborative effort. If you
have further questions regarding Portico, please feel free to contact me
directly or visit our website (www.portico.org <http://www.portico.org/>).

Eileen Fenton
Executive Director, Portico
eileen.fenton@portico.org