Re: Open Letter about OA to the Royal Society by Fellows ofthe Royal Society

I would say a careful reading of the two statements show more balance and
openness in the RSC statement than in the response letter cited below by
Harnad.

I would suggest that we explore new venues for dissemination of
information before first setting out to undermine successful existing
ones.

If the new venues work for authors and readers, we will not need
government imposed mandates to make them happen. Marc

Marc H. Brodsky
Executive Director and CEO		E-mail: brodsky@aip.org
American Institute of Physics 	                Phone: (301) 209-3131
One Physics Ellipse 			Fax: (301) 209-3133
College Park, MD 20740-3843

>>> harnad@ecs.soton.ac.uk 12/6/2005 7:49 PM >>>
Forty two Fellows of the Royal Society (including 5 Nobel Laureates) have
signed the following Open Letter to Lord Martin Rees expressing concern
about the Society's statement on open access:

      http://www.frsopenletter.org/