Do the Bergstrom and McAfee Indexes reflect Value?

Jan Veltrop brings up a very fundamental question to the analysis of the Bergstrom and McAfee data, that is, are there more appropriate measurements for the abstract concept of "value"? I will argue that the choice of B&M's indexes are reliable and robust. While modifications may make them more accurate for particular comparisons, these indexes are simple, easy to construct, and provide immense heuristic value.

Cost Per Article

The CPA is a measurement of the production value that publishers provide consumers. While Jan argues (correctly) that page length and article type play a factor in how much it costs to produce an article, the number of articles published each year is a good indicator of how much unique content you are purchasing each year without having to undergo indepth article-by-article analysis.

Cost Per Citation

Citations are an accepted indicator of popularity and prestige. While they do not necessarily reflect articles that are read but not cited, they are transparent figures that are difficult to abuse (without being caught) -- which is not the case with download statistics. In addition, download statistics appear to be heavily influenced by a publisher's interface, which is not the case with citations (see http://people.cornell.edu/pages/pmd8/interface.pdf )

Relative Cost Index

The Bergstrom and McAfee data go beyond most price studies and compare journals to other journals within their field. This can provide a more balanced comparison than, say, the OUP/Loughborough University study that categorized journals only down to its major discipline (science, social science, humanities, etc. see http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/dis/lisu/pages/publications/oup.html )

In sum, these three indexes are good indicators of "value". If anyone can come up with better indexes, please speak up, otherwise we can agree that they are the best that we have to work with.

-Phil Davis