Revisions to the Bergstrom and McAfee Graphs

The initial publication of my report had Lippencott Williams & Wilkins titles miscategorized under Springer-Kluwer. Due to clarification of ownership, 102 titles have been removed from the Springer-Kluwer category and the data were reanalyzed. The result of this recategorization had the effect of increasing all price indexes for Springer-Kluwer. Its Price per Article increased by $2.18 to $19.03; its Price per Citation increased by $2.12 to $9.81; its Composite Price Index increased by $2.60 to $14.00; and its Relative Cost Index increased by $0.56 to $4.75

The result of these changes also changed how Springer-Kluwer titles were placed into value categories. The percentage of S-K journals falling into the "good" price category decreased from 9% to 2%. Titles falling into the "medium" price category decreased from 18% to 13%. S-K ournals falling into the "bad" category increased from 73% to 84%.

The revised report can be found at:
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/pmd8/prices.pdf

I hope that these data corrections have satisfied Lisa Dittrich and Morna Conway. The main findings of these tables and graphs still hold, and I hope that we can move to more constructive conversations on the interpretation and meaning of these graphs, instead of calling the data irrelevant or the authors, "dodos".

Philip Davis (December 5, 2005)