Re: Graphing the Bergstrom and McAfee Journal Pricing Data

The argument that Morna Conway is providing is clearly an obfuscation of the point of the Bergstrom and McAfee data. They were not attempting to justify the prices of journals, only to report and analyze them based on what they felt were appropriate value measures. I could start the most expensive journal in library science (I would have to beat out Emerald first), and justify my price that I only had ten subscribers, that I needed to take 25% profit to run my business, that I had no advertisement, that I had to travel around the world to attract authors, and that I had to pay reviewers a lot of money to read the poorly-written manuscripts. This is a justification of the price, which in no way is related to its value (in terms of dollars) to the subscriber community. It is the latter that Bergstrom and McAfee are getting at, not the further.

--Phil Davis

Journal Cost Effectiveness: http://www.journalprices.com/
Graphs and Tables: http://people.cornell.edu/pages/pmd8/prices.pdf