Re: Graphing the Bergstrom and McAfee Journal Pricing Data

Right on, Lisa!  Since when was a simple clarification judged
argumentative, let alone an ad hominem attack? And if questioning the
accuracy of data can be so cavalierly dismissed, perhaps we need to
revisit the basic tenets of research.

Anyway, the point is that scholarly society-owned journals can either be
self-published or published under contract with commercial, university
press, or other types of publisher. Some society-sponsored journals are
owned by the publishers that founded them. And many journals are not
affiliated in any way with a society. Looking at the list of publishers in
question, Blackwell probably publishes more society than proprietary
journals; Elsevier probably publishes more proprietary than society
journals. One thing, after many years of consulting with societies, that I
know for a certainty is that when society journals move around from
publisher to publisher, there is rarely a major change in institutional
subscription price (which is still the basis of online pricing). Even when
a commercially published society journal moves to self-publishing, the
basic subscription rate for libraries is generally preserved.

At the heart of journal pricing is circulation, which is always higher
when a journal goes to the members of a society than when it is published
with the idea that a library will serve as the conduit to readers. Along
with higher circulation come additional revenue streams, like advertising
sales, which is one reason there is so much resistance from both societies
and publishers to simply doing away with print. Incidentally, the paucity
of advertising revenue in social science and humanities journals may well
be the major contributing factor to the higher prices Phil Davis
associates with that category.

So the B&M analysis of journal pricing does not fully capture the
complexities of journal economics. The data needed are:

1.  Journal ownership (society or publisher)
2.  Society affiliation or not if owned by a publisher
3.  Circulation to members of society or not
4.  Other revenues available to a journal (e.g., advertising, commercial
     reprints, author fees, supplements, subsidiary rights)
5.  Publishing arrangement (self-published, commercially published,
     university press published)
6.  Number of submissions
7.  Number of accepted articles
8.  Impact factor
9.  Access policy for online version
10. COUNTER data on downloads
11. Subscription pricing
12. Site license pricing

Collect and crunch those data, and someone might begin to get at what the
realities of journal pricing are all about!

Morna Conway, Ph.D.
Journal Publishing Consultant
mconway@infionline.net