RE: FW: commercial crimes -- & NIH?

Dear Bonnie,

I am glad to hear your interpretation that " NIH is exercising its right
through the government's license to make both works done under contract
and grant publicly available."

Whether the way in which this is being done is appropriate, rather than
excessive or inadequate, is not yet known. This has not stopped many
(including myself) from discussing the question repeatedly-- but I think
all would be agreed that at least the principle of public access has been
established.

We also agree, as a historical fact, that the current rule is the outcome
of "a compromise was forged in which the contractor or grantee retains
title to the IP, but the government gets a license. "

I think it time to alter the terms, which as you point out, are matters
set only by regulation. (The formal statements may differ, the practical
effect for our present purposes is the same for work done under contract
or under a grant. I've worked under both-- the paperwork and application
process is not identical, but the effect of the individual is. )

(I note that the contractor or grantee is rarely an individual, but
instead an organization of some sort although in general discussion,
"grantee" is often used as a synonym for the Principal Investigator. (
P.I.)

For copyright at least, the regulations are no longer appropriate to the
actual conditions of science publishing. It is not the contractor or
grantee nor the P.I.  who actually retains the copyright, but in the
practical world, all must give the rights to a publisher in exchange for
publication.

I've read the regulations, too, and I have for long thought that a very
simple change in them would force a solution to the whole problem. The
copyright need only reside inalienably with the
contractor/grantee/P.I./authors, who would be only authorized to give
another organization no more than an non-exclusive lichens, in addition to
the required government use license.

I'm not sure just how the publishing system would adapt, but it would.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu