From: David Goodman [mailto:David.Goodman@liu.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 7:55 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu; BKlein@dtic.mil;
liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: FW: commercial crimes -- & NIH?

We now see the true light: the NIH is convinced that it is "engaging in
R&D primarily for agency needs."

This is not the case. The NIH engages in R&D to meet public needs, and
would never have been funded otherwise.  The grantees do not work to help
the NIH; the NIH exists to support the grantees.  Even for a narrowly
focused contract, the R&D is at least in principle being done ultimately
for the public benefit, not the benefit of the sponsoring organization.
That's the difference between the public sector and the commercial sector.
It sounds like Bonnie has confused the two.

The NIH policy on intellectual property must similarly be designed
primarily for the public benefit. As far as its internal needs go,
throughout the 50-year history of the NIH, those grantees who did not
publish did not receive further grants, and this was without PMC.

The policy on copyright may conceivably have been needed when the system
of federal research support was instituted. Given the technological change
in scientific publishing, to continue it now is most certainly a mistake.
That's why such matters are dealt with by regulations and not laws--so
they can be more readily adapted to meet such developments.

Peter has become so used to this practice that he now regards the
ownership of the prime intellectual property in his area of science to
belong to his own organization. There is no question but that that the NIH
has the right to provide its Public Access. The agency has the right to
provide much more than that. It has the right and the power --and I would
say the obligation-- to require that work it funds be published, and with
the copyright remaining in the public domain.

I, like other OA advocates, initially supported the NIH because we hoped
that the result would be sufficiently close to true OA.  I, like some
other advocates of OA, deeply regret the initial enthusiasm for a system
that in actuality offers the public so little.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu