Re: commercial crimes -- & NIH?

If the NIH did what the Wellcome Trust did, specifically the second point:

(Quoting the Wellcome web site http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/
doc_WTD002766.html) "the Wellcome Trust: Expects authors of research
papers to maximise the opportunities to make their results available for
free and, where possible, to retain their copyright. Will provide
grantholders with additional funding to cover the costs of page processing
charges levied by publishers who support the open access model. Requires
electronic copies of any research papers that have been accepted for
publication in a peer-reviewed journal, and are supported in whole or in
part by Wellcome Trust funding, to be deposited into PMC (or UKPMC once
established)". Would NIH and the Government still be considered to
"declare war on the nonprofit and for-profit publishing industry."?

Jan Velterop
Springer (the publisher who is happy with open access and with the
Wellcome Trust's policy)