Re: The Number That's Devouring Science

As a publisher I have to disagree with the first statement by Feinman and
I do it on the basis of evidence. Academic authors submit to journals not
databases. Users indeed usually (though not invariably or entirely) tend
to look for authors and subjects. However a surprising number still
receive ETOCs for favoured journals or even scan them physically.

However as a publisher I am in total agreement with the sentiments (such
as I can tell from the snippet) in the CHE article. In the last few years
IF fever has spread dramatically. Journals I work with have become
obsessed with gaining impact factor. Editors are more concerned with this
than producing a high quality publication for their community. It is not
uncommon that these two aims are in conflict - chapter and verse can be
provided. As far as assessment of academics are concerned, in the UK we
have the RAE - the Research Assessment Exercise. I have looked at the
statements of a number of the 60+ panels, who are to conduct the
assessment. and those I have read carefully explain that they will judge
the submission of publications from the departments they are assessing on
their merits and NOT take into account the IF of the journals in which
these publications appear. However heads of departments throughout the
land totally ignore these sort of statements. They tell their departments
that they have to try to publish in Nature etc.

This (thank goodness) is not an area where publishers (OA or not OA) and
librarians need to be divided but what do we do?

Anthony Watkinson