Comparison of EPrints, DSpace and Fedora (fwd)

      *Forwarding: apologies for cross-posting **

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:27:46 +1100
From: Arthur Sale <ahjs@ozemail.com.au>
To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM@LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: Comparison of EPrints, DSpace and Fedora

I am doing a comparison of functionality and adopter experiences for the two
most widely used institutional archive-creating software packages for
repositories: EPrints and DSpace, and also Fedora (a minor player globally
but possibly important in Australia).  I am seeking your help in collecting
information. Information about other packages would also be welcome.

(1) If you have used or compared any of this software, could you please take the
time to let me know what you consider the respective advantages/
disadvantages of each to be, and for what purposes? I am also interested in
features that you think are equivalent or readily achieved in each.

(2) The two major software packages explain their orientation as follows:
EPrints puts a particular emphasis on OA content (preprints and postprints of
institutional research output, plus theses), DSpace on digital curation in
general. Fedora describes itself as repository storage layer software requiring
custom front-ends for any purpose. If you have any specific comments on these
overall orientations and whether they are appropriate, they would be very
helpful too.

(3) While all these packages are free and open source, I would also be
interested in any cost estimates in implementing the one you chose, how many
hours or dollars you spent on setup, how much maintenance you have to expend,
and how reliable the software is (crashes, downtime, etc). Would you recommend
it to someone else?

I will post a summary of the results (and maybe an interim report) on AmSci OA
Forum, and may get back to you if I reed a bit more detail. Thank you in
anticipation of a prompt response and a flood of emails. Email direct to me at
Arthur.Sale@utas.edu.au if you want.

Arthur Sale
Professor of Computing (Research)
University of Tasmania