Re: Response from Ted Bergstrom to Ann Okerson

I found Ann's explanation of the complexity and irreversibility of
contractual/pricing negotiations very intriguing. It has the hallmarks of
bitter experience and hard-won perplexity.

It is odd in some ways, that publishers and aggregators have not found it
possible to develop a transparent, rational, scaleable and public way of
pricing access/subscriptions to electronic literature. But I know from
personal experience that networks and consortia have been complicit in
encouraging pricing variability and opacity. Its not just the publishers
who have been creating the complications.

Odd too that some publishers have apparently wished to prevent their
customers from discussing pricing arrangements, because historically
publishers and booksellers have been very attached to the idea that a
physical book, journal or magazine has a 'published price'. It has to be
the case that the confusingly different and non-standard licensing and
pricing terms for proprietary databases is one of the factors that makes
toll access publishing relatively inefficient as a way of communicating
scholarship and research.

Amazon, Google, and their like are developing much more scaleable and
automatable pricing and licensing models for literary content through the
web --- but there is not much sign that they would regard libraries as a
significant part of their market (except of course in the case of Google
finding libraries a convenient content-partner). If they do decide that
libraries are a market, then we may find some awkward licensing and
pricing arrangements under discussion.

Perhaps its time that the librarians proposed a 'public lending right'
standard for pricing per page view or annual rental per title. It could
and should be very low -- and it could be on top of the 'fair usage' right
of automated search (which will be accepted if Google win their case) --
and yet it still might be economically interesting and so encouraging to
greater provision of electronic access for in copyright works.

Adam