Re: Advice from Peter

My comments were not directed at any individual or organization.  I am
withdrawing from this listserv.  I refuse to have any further comment on
this issue in any forum -- electronic or otherwise -- due to concerns over
personal legal liability.

Karl Bridges
Associate Professor
Information and Instruction Services
100 Bailey Howe Library
University of Vermont
802-656-8132
------

Peter Banks wrote:

This is my last post on this thread. I am tired of being misinterpreted
as saying that publishers are striving to inhibit discussion among
librarians. I said no such thing. I merely pointed out (an action I now
regret), that anyone--publisher or librarian--is at risk, and exposes the
list serve operator to risk, from discussion pricing and other issues
that might be construed as restraint to trade. I would suggest that the
Yale University legal office weigh in on this--perhaps I am unduly
cautious, but I don't think so.

For a legal analysis, see
http://www.blankrome.com/publications/Articles/adler_ACCA.asp
For model list serve rules from a well-known attorney, see
http://www.venable.com/publications.cfm?action=view&publication_id=480&publication_type_id=2

Peter Banks
Acting Vice President for Publications/Publisher
American Diabetes Association
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org