RE: Response from Ted Bergstrom to Ann Okerson

I want to call attention to the last two sentences of Karl's reply.

The view he expresses is perfectly reasonable if one
is buying recreational material for oneself.
But libraries buy for their  community--
and the buy to support not just the
recreational needs but the information needs. If they
are academic libraries, they buy to support the information
needs of research and teaching, primarily but not
exclusively of their own community.

I do not see that a rich community  has greater
information needs than a poor community (public
or academic). I do not see how it is in the public
interest that different groups get differential
access to information on the basis of expense.

Some goods are not appropriately
provided for by the free market.
(And I think this is compatible with a view that
"capitalism"  is in general the fairest, best or
most productive way of pricing most things. )

We do have alternatives for information provision--
that's Open Access, which is at least potentially
 within our capabilities.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University