RE: Response from Ted Bergstrom to Ann Okerson

"You should not discuss pricing on any listserve, on any subject. If you
doubt me, ask your attorney."

Peter,

Please elaborate and if possible cite the appropriate statutes and case
law. Unless bound by a confidentiality agreement, why would discussion of
pricing be illegal?

I can negotiate a salary, a home purchase, an airline ticket, or whatever
I want and discuss those details with whomever I want whenever I want.  A
concrete example is the UC-Elsevier ScienceDirect contract, where all
details of the pricing and contract are available publically:
http://www.econ.ucsb.edu/%7Etedb/Journals/ucelsevier.pdf

I actually find it incredible that you think any moderator would be
liable for anything discussed on a listserv.

John McDonald
Acquisitions Librarian
California Institute of Technology