RE: Secret pricing (RE: Response from Ted Bergstrom to Ann Okerson)

Right, Rick. (It being understood that there are honorable exceptions to
our strictures.)

I think this one of the many examples that many libraries have generally
not acted responsibly in the management of the funds entrusted to them.
They have purchased in the absence of need, they have continued
subscriptions in the face of evidence of lack of use. They have, as Rick
says, paid prices in ignorance, even when it put them in an obviously
unfavorable situation.

They have signed multi-year contracts to avoid the need to look at their
needs afresh each year. They have failed to take advantage of what
flexibility they may have to exchange titles within such contracts.

As I see it, the proof of this is that the cost and usage data for each
library is not pubically available. Those entering into deals and jointly
promising to keep the facts secret, can be presumed to have a very good
reason to do so.

It would seem reasonable to start by obtaining full information from the
public university libraries of open-record states. The sort of database
proposed by Phil Davis is the way to go. I say this on the admittedly
unproven assumption that if we all know the facts, we would all act more
appropriately. Fortunately, those responsible for our funding will also
see the data, and this may prove the best incentive to fair dealing.

I predict that such publication, if general, would result in the drastic
change of the manner of paying for publication of scholarly research,
because the present way would collapse if exposed to the open air.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu