Re: Your Lawsuit is Not Helping Me or My Book

I am not sure what legal expertise Sally and Joe bring to the case. I have
no legal qualification (aside from having written a few publishing
contracts and read a few hundred more) but it would seem to me plain that
there are important legal issues to be settled in relation to the Google
Library project, and it now seems highly likely that they will be settled
in court.

I doubt that it would have got this far if it were such a 'no brainer'. It
is not really a question of who owns what (aside from the important area
of 'orphaned' copyrights where Google appear to have an interesting
'homesteader', partial, solution in mind), but of what the limits of
ownership are. What are the limits which a copyright holder can impose on
the limits to which her text is put? How can these limits be balanced with
the fair use to which a purcaser can reasonably expect access? The uses of
an electronic text are myriad and not forseen by current copyright
statutes= . There are also important issues of public policy and it is
surely conceivable that our understanding of copyrights and copywrongs
will change as we move into a world in which the distribution of literary
texts is primarily electronic. Much the same is happening in the world of
music wher= e analog formats are also being replaced by digital formats.
Book publishers who are so hot on 'their' rigid and far reaching
copyrights need to think carefully about how a similar assertive strategy
has 'worked' for the music publishers.

Copyright is clearly at issue. But it also seems that the more interesting
questions are really to do with 'fair dealing' and 'fair use', which is
not quite the same issue, but a correlative concept, and a valuable
counterbalance important in defining the limits of copyright.

If it turns out that the American judicial view of 'fair use' is more open
and more accomodating of new technical uses of texts, then it will not
have been the first time that the USA has shown the way in free speech and
free use of information, and as a convinced European I hope that the EU
rapidly follows suite.

Adam