To: "LIBLICENCE DISCUSSION GROUP" <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: Your Lawsuit is Not Helping Me or My Book

Reading this post is most heartening to me.  I have been shocked by the
reactions of some in the publishing industry and by some authors by the
lack of realization of the benefits which outweigh hugely any "harm"
that may come by full text indexing of books are bringing in that
people, through Google Print searches and searches in competitive book
content indexing projects from Google Print competitors, will serve to
cause people to need books they would never have realized contain
important information about topics which they are researching or
learning about without these searches.  While some will use libraries to
view this content, others will purchase the books to find additional
content or to have the information handy as needed over the long haul
for their research project by owning their own copy of the book.  Gary
Price in a recent excellent post to the DIG_REF list noted that Google
Print is not the only provider of this service.