Google on Google Print

Two blog postings on "googleblog.blogspot.com" of some interest.

1.  Eric Schmidt's column in the WSJ last week (10/18/05):

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/point-of-google-print.html

Its first sentence, "Imagine sitting at your computer and, in less than a
second, searching the full text of every book ever written," could have
been written by Vannevar Bush in his famous "Memex" piece more than fifty
years ago.

2.  "Why we believe in Google Print", by David Drummond, General Counsel
and VP Corporate Development:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/why-we-believe-in-google-print.html

The last sentence there:  "We look forward to the day that the program's
opponents marvel at the fact that they actually tried to stop an
innovation that, by making books as easy to find as web pages, brought
their works to the attention of a vast new global audience."

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown University