Re: BioMed Central responds to ALPSP's study 'The Facts aboutOpen Access'

Any electronic publishing venture is likely to have a significant
fixed-cost investment in technology and infrastructure. To the extent that
this investment is amortized over larger numbers of journals and papers,
profit will increase with maturity.

It is certainly true that open-access business models will require greater
discipline in controlling per-article costs. In the long term, such
discipline is likely to be an great strategic advantage for any publisher,
no matter what the business model!

Eric

Thanks for this. I have asked our researchers to comment on the
statistics relating to the two large OA publishers included in the
figures, as I do not have access to the confidential data provided

Matt may be right that the finances of OA journals will improve over
time. I'm not surprised that their income is trending up - more articles
means more income. However, this doesn't necessarily mean more profit. It seems logical to me that a model based on per-article charges is less
likely to improve its finances than one based on subscriptions/licences. As a journal matures, it attracts more and better articles; under the OA
model, this simply increases costs (and if the rejection rate goes up,
costs per published article go up even more steeply). Revenue can only
keep pace with the number of published articles, unless a significant
increase in publication charges is possible (are authors monitoring
steeper-than-RPI increases in such charges, I wonder?!). Under the
subscription/licensing model, on the other hand, the potential growth is
very much larger and steeper than that in content.

However, this is surmise - time will tell

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
Email: sally.morris@alpsp.org