MO

At the risk of sounding saccharine, I wanted to share a quotation from
Lewis Thomas I stumbled upon this morning, which to my mind describes the
mediations of culture.

"We pass the word around; we ponder how the case is put by different
people, we read the poetry; we meditate over the literature; we play the
music; we change our minds; we reach an understanding. Society evolves
this way, not by shouting each other down, but by the unique capacity of
unique, individual human beings to comprehend each other."

Joe Esposito