To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 5:14 PM
Subject: RE: Open access: a must for Wellcome Trust researchers [response to comments from ALPSP]

The problem with taking a single sentence out of context, as you have
done, is that it can lead to misinterpretation: all the Trust's
policies and supporting documents should be read in their entirety and
not quoted out of context. We would stress again, as we have done in
all communications with our researchers, that they should make
themselves fully aware of the policy as a whole before taking any
action. The Grant Conditions themselves make it abundantly clear that
they must be read in conjunction with the Policies and Positions: the
Grant Conditions are intended as a high level document; the Policies and
Positions underpin the Grant Conditions with more operational detail. We keep all our policies under review and we will update and change our
guidance based on the feedback we receive directly.

Further, the policy does not **only** apply to grants awarded from 1
October 2005 - it will also affect existing grant holders whose grants
are still current on 1 October 2006. Consequently, we were duty bound
to alert current grant holders that papers in preparation now may well
come under the new policy. Our communication strategy was to alert
everyone who might be affected, and back this up with the detail on our
web site.

In the first week of taking our policy live 55 manuscripts were
deposited via the NIHMS system; 11 of these are now available for free
in PMC, in a format that can be archived and integrated with other
online database resources.

Additionally, from our perspective as a funder, these papers are now
linked to the original grant awarded, enabling a link between the
application process and the outputs - a process which facilitates
evaluation and can greatly improve the research process which, as a
research organisation, has been our motivating force from the outset.

Robert Kiley

Head of Systems Strategy & Acting Librarian
Wellcome Library.
Library Web site: http://library.wellcome.ac.uk