BMC model changes

Has anyone noticed that BMC no longer offers an institutional membership
that picks up the article processing fees for authors from that
institution? They are mimicking more of a PLoS model, by offering
supporting memberships that provide a 15% discount on author fees or a
pre-paid membership that includes processing fees paid up front (which
slightly higher discounts, I think) and deducted as they are assessed
throughout the year. I believe this speaks volumes about the question of
the original model's economic sustainability.  In other words, BMC's
original fee plan did not provide sufficient funds for handling the
necessary peer review and publication costs. What do others think? The new
membership plans are described here:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/about/membership

(I did just notice that new members can join through the end of the year,
using the old institutional membership model- but existing members must
renew using one of the new plans).

Karen Albert, MLS, AHIP
Director of Library Services
Fox Chase Cancer Center