Re: Open access: a must for Wellcome Trust researchers

Having been the recipient of several grant awards, it is customary for
granting agencies to require that their procedures be followed. Debating
this point is a waste of time unless those debating it happen to be
representatives of funding agencies.  If the granting agency funding the
research requires that the article be published in an open access journal,
fine. If they recommend it but don't require it, that's fine too, but I
would prefer that open access be required. They are funding the research,
they have a right to make such requirements. If researchers don't like the
requirements, they are always free to take their proposals to other
funding agencies.

Jane Kleiner
Associate Dean of Libraries for Collection Services
The LSU Libraries
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Phone: 225-578-2217
Fax: 225-578-6825
E-Mail: jkleiner@lsu.edu

"Sally Morris \(ALPSP\)" <sally.morris@alpsp.org>@lists.yale.edu on
10/05/2005 04:54:08 PM
To:    <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Subject:    Re: Open access: a must for Wellcome Trust researchers

Yes, the statement on the website says it's prospective.  Unfortunately
that is not what their message to existing grant recipients says

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
Email:  sally.morris@alpsp.org