RE: Open access: a must for Wellcome Trust researchers

I ask Sally what specific licensing terms of which publishers there might
be, that actual authors have already agreed to, and that she thinks the
Wellcome Trust requirements breech.  If considerations of commercial
secrecy or the like prevent giving full details, they can be masked.

Perhaps she might mean that its terms may prevent recipients from
publishing with certain existing publishers. I do not see how the decision
not to enter into publishing contracts than might be incompatible with the
grantor's terms can be seen as a breech of contract-- to me it looks like
a sincere efford to avoid such a breech.  Those who conduct the very high
quality research supported by the Wellcome Foundation will have no lack of
perfectly legal alternatives.

However, I doubt such a situation will arise, as essentially all relevant
publishers have already changed their terms to permit compliance with the
NIH requirements, which the Wellcome adopts.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu