Re: Open access to research worth A3 1.5bn a year

At 07:37 PM 9/27/2005, Peter Banks wrote:
>[...]
>Although Peter Suber recently claimed (in a letter to the Washington
>Times) that "Study after study has shown that free online access
>increases the impact of research literature, as measured by citations, 50
>percent to 250 percent," I am not sure what "study after study" refers
>to, though is clearly is a reference to Harnad's work.
>
>Dr. Harnad has provided one other refererence
><http://www.crsc.uqam.ca/lab/chawki/graphes/EtudeImpact.htm>, so perhaps
>"study after study" means literally that: two studies. Or maybe there are
>more, but I can't find references.

I was referring to the many studies collected by Steve Hitchcock in his
excellent bibliography:

The effect of open access and downloads ('hits') on citation impact: a
bibliography of studies http://opcit.eprints.org/oacitation-biblio.html

Peter

Peter Suber
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Editor, Open Access News blog
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/
peter.suber@earlham.edu