Re: Open access to research worth �1.5bn a year

Forgive me if this is a rather stupid interjection into what is a very
high-level discussion, but I wonder if Mr. Harnad has factored in how
often authors cite themselves?  I'm not saying this is a bad thing--it is
simply a fact of publishing.

Again, my apologies if this is a silly observation.

Lisa Dittrich
Managing Editor
Academic Medicine
2450 N Street NW
Washington,D.C. 20037
lrdittrich@aamc.org (e-mail)
202-828-0590 (phone)
202-828-4798 (fax)
Academic Medicine's Web site: www.academicmedicine.org

>>> espositoj@gmail.com 09/26/05 7:51 AM >>>

I assume that no one is taking Harnad's voodoo economics seriously except
Harnad himself, and even there one has doubts, but the one statistic he
does not quote is the one policy-makers in the UK are likely to pay
attention to, namely, that the UK is a net exporter of research literature
and the destruction of the publishing industry that he implicitly
advocates (all his protestations to the contrary) would have a negative
impact on foreign exchange.  Something to think about when the price rises
in London for a crust of bread.

Joe Esposito