RE: Do governments subsidize journals (was: Who gets hurt by Open

Sally

Two interesting figures quoted recently suggest this is not the case.

You quoted Don King's research that suggested that 25% of papers come from
authors in industry.

Tony McSean, from Elsevier, tells us (on another list) that 25% of
Elsevier's revenue comes from industry.

If we move to a financial model that receives revenue at the input stage,
and if industry does author 25% of papers as Professor King suggests, then
industry will account for 25% of revenues - exactly matching the
proportion received from industry by Elsevier at the moment.  So, no 'free
rider' problem, no shift in balance, and no transfer of costs to the tax
payer.

(Of course some publishers receive more from industry and some less -
until we get better figures let's take Elsevier's 25% as an average.)

David