Re: Is there an OA journal for diabetes researchers?

Contrary to what Dr. Feinman asserts, the ADA is happy to highlight
research from OA journals on its web page.  Access Diabetes Research
(http://www.diabetes.org/patientinform/default.jsp) abstracts and links to
research from a wide range of journals. We have not linked to the BMC
journal yet only because it is relatively new and not yet widely cited
(though the McFarlane paper may be an exception).

Incidentally,  BMC has several other diabetes-related journals:

BMC Endocrine Disorders
http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcendocrdisord/

Cardiovascular Diabetology
http://www.cardiab.com/

Current Diabetes Reports
http://www.biomedcentral.com/currdiabetesrep/

Those researchers, like Heather, who object to ADA's policies certainly
have other options for publishing.

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association
1701 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311
703/299-2033
FAX 703/683-2890
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org
>>> RFeinman@downstate.edu 09/18/05 12:46 PM >>>
Heather Morrison asked:

"Is there an open access alternative for diabetes researchers?  If not,
might be time to start one up.  How is this for a motto "we treat our
authors with respect!"

Our BMC journal Nutrition and Metabolism publishes articles on diabetes.
We are relatively new and only beginning to reach out to authors in other
journals.  However, an important recent article that has received many
hits is:

The case for low carbohydrate diets in diabetes management
Surender K Arora, Samy I McFarlane
Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:16

I can't help feeling that this will never be referred to on the ADA site
notwithstanding the fact that the senior author Samy McFarlane is a well
know endocrinologist.  Anyway, it is free for anybody to read and
consider.  We will probably pass on the motto but we also treat our
readers with respect.  A follow-up commentary is also of interest:

The case for not restricting saturated fat on a low carbohydrate diet
Jeff S Volek, Cassandra E Forsythe
Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:21

Richard D. Feinman
SUNY Downstate Medical Center