Usage stats, or: how I became an OA advocate

Among the more compelling reasons for open access are...the alternatives.
One such is employing usage statistics as an economic factor, whether in
purchase or cancellation decisions, or per-use pricing. To paraphrase
Andrew Odlyzkow: usage based pricing can be very effective: the trouble
is, you might not like the effects. Among the potential effects of
usage-based pricing are disincentives to use, less diversity and more
conservatism in scholasticism.

More comments and a link to a preprint of a book chapter I've written on
the subject can be found in my blog at:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2005/09/usage-statistics-as-economic-factor-in.html

Many thanks to Liblicense discussion participants, whose comments on usage
statistics were an inspiration for this book chapter, and one of the
factors that helped to make me a dedicated open access advocate.

cheers,

Heather G. Morrison